Important Documents for Your College Student to Sign

It may come as a surprise to a parent that once a child turns 18, parents no longer have the right, or will face hurdles and delay, to speak to their child’s healthcare professional, see their child’s medical and financial records, or make critical decisions on their child’s behalf.  For these reasons, it is a good idea for your young adult to designate you as a substitute health care decision-maker, allow you access to medical information, and grant you a power of attorney.  Depending on your state of residence, we can prepare New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut forms for your child quickly and easily.  When a child arrives at school out of your home state, it is a good idea to ask the school health service or check on-line for that state’s form of medical decision–making power and a medical records release authorization.  Your home state’s forms are valid in another state, but it’s easier, especially in a time of crisis, to get the other state’s forms accepted as healthcare providers are familiar with their own state’s forms.  Let us know if we can help you get your child ready for school.

If you have any questions regarding important documents for your college student to sign, please contact Doris L. Martin, or visit our website.